Do your eyes water, itch, or swell when you come into contact with certain substances? If so, you may have an eye allergy. Allergies are caused by your body's overreaction to a normally harmless substance. Our optometrists at ClearView Eyecare, serving residents of Northern Washington and Bellingham, can provide you with relief from your eye allergy symptoms.
The Symptoms of Eye Allergies
The symptoms of eye allergies are often similar to those of other conditions, such as pink eye. It's important to see an eye doctor for an accurate diagnosis and eye allergy treatment plan. The symptoms of eye allergies include:
- Watery Eyes The most common symptom of eye allergies is watery eyes. This is caused by your body's release of histamines in response to an allergen.
- Itching You may feel a strong urge to rub your eyes, which can lead to redness and swelling.
- Eye Irritation Eye allergies can cause a burning or stinging sensation.
- Red Eyes Eye allergies can cause your eyes to become red and bloodshot.
- Swelling Your eyes may swell, making it difficult to open them.
- Blurry Vision If your eyes swell too much, you may experience blurry vision.
What Are the Causes of Eye Allergies?
Eye allergies are usually caused by airborne allergens, such as pollen, dust mites, mold, or pet dander found inside and outside your home. Seasonal allergies are often caused by pollen from trees, grasses, and weeds. Many people with seasonal allergies also have year-round allergies to indoor allergens, such as dust mites and mold. Eye allergies can also be caused by certain medications, cosmetics, and contact lenses.
Treatment for Eye Allergies
There are several ways to treat eye allergies. The best way to treat your symptoms will depend on the severity of your allergies and your individual needs. Some people with mild eye allergies may only need over-the-counter (OTC) medications, such as antihistamines, to relieve their symptoms.
If OTC medications don't relieve your symptoms, our optometrists may prescribe stronger medication. We may also recommend immunotherapy, which can help your body build a tolerance to allergens over time. Sometimes, our optometrists may recommend seeing an allergist for additional testing and treatment.
Contact Us for Relief from Your Eye Allergies
If you're dealing with eye allergy symptoms, our team at ClearView Eyecare can help. We serve Bellingham and Northern Washington residents with comprehensive eye exams and eye care services. Call our team today at (360) 392 8306 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.