Eye infections can cause discomfort and pose a risk to your eye health and vision. If you notice any symptoms, it's essential to contact your Bellingham optometrist for an eye exam. At ClearView Eyecare, we offer diagnosis and treatment for a variety of eye infections.
Types of Eye Infections
Eye infections can be caused by viruses, bacteria, or fungi, and each type requires a different treatment. Your Bellingham optometry specialist can identify the type of infection you have and the cause.
Here are some common types of eye infections:
- Conjunctivitis or Pink Eye: This infection can cause redness, pain, and itchiness in your eyelid and the outer layer of your eye. It's contagious and should be treated quickly to avoid spreading to other family members.
- Stye: A stye is a small bump that can develop on or under your eyelid due to an infection.
- Keratitis: This infection affects the cornea of your eye and can cause scarring and permanent vision loss.
Uveitis: Uveitis is an inflammation of the middle layer of your eye, the uvea. It can cause damage to your eye tissues and vision loss.
- Endophthalmitis: This infection can cause swelling of the tissues and fluids within your eyeball, leading to permanent loss of sight.
- Cellulitis: This infection can affect the inside of your eye, your eyelids, and the skin around your eyes. Pre-septal cellulitis only affects your eyelids and is common in young children. Orbital cellulitis, however, infects your eye socket and can hinder eye movement, requiring immediate attention and treatment.
When to See Your Optometry Specialist
Minor eye irritations can be treated with over-the-counter eye drops and rest. However, if you experience any of the following symptoms, contact your Bellingham optometrist right away for an eye exam:
- Sudden vision changes or vision loss
- Eye pain
- Eye redness or swelling that doesn't improve with eye drops
- Excessive discharge coming from your eyes
- Flashes appearing in your line of sight
Eye Infection Treatment in Bellingham, WA
At ClearView Eyecare, serving Bellingham and Northern Washington, we offer diagnosis and treatment for various types of eye infections. Depending on the type of infection, we may recommend antibiotics, anti-viral medication, or other treatment options to help you recover quickly and safely. To schedule an appointment for diagnosing or treating eye infections, contact ClearView Eyecare at 360-392-8306.